Thursday, July 17, 2008

Notes of a small island from a large one

Sorry it's been so long but quite a few of you have now seen me, Heather and Abs in real life so I'm not too worried. Now I need to work out where to start so I think I'll have to consult the oracle (diary ;)) to see what we'd been up to before our mammoth short trip!

First up - I'm now a dinky die Aussie Citizen albeit without a passport at the present time. Had my test May 16th. You have to get 16 out of 20 but on one section you have to get 5 out of 5 so in effect you can fail with 19/20. Anyway I managed 18 out of 20. I was then told to wait a few weeks for my confirmation letter which actually arrived about 5 days later. This told me to wait a few weeks to get a letter inviting me to a ceremony in 3-6 months time. Five days later said letter arrives inviting me to a ceremony in four weeks time! This caused certain problems because the ceremony was to be the Wednesday before we flew to the UK on the Friday and when you have your ceremony, your visa is cancelled. Also the quickest the Passport Office can turn a passport round is 48 hours so it would mean travelling back to Aus without a passport or a valid visa but after a few phone calls to Immigration and Passport Office, I was assured it wouldn't be a problem so I accepted the invite.

Did the ceremony with the Mayor of the Gold Coast - a fella called Ron Clarke who was, and I quote "an icon in sporting circles. He set 19 world records between 1963 and 1970, in races ranging from 2 miles to 20 kilometres.

He competed in 2 Olympic and 3 Commonwealth Games winning an Olympic bronze and four Commonwealth Games silver medals and is widely considered the ultimate ethical competitor.

During his career he was twice judged the World’s Greatest Sportsperson, in 1965 by the BBC, and the European Sports Writers Association and in 1966 by the French Academy of Sports. He was an inaugural admission to both the Australian Sports Hall of Fame, and the International Athletics Association Hall of Fame." (Courtesy of the GCCC web site).

Had my photo taken with him, was given a certificate, a flag and a native plant in a pink pot! We were also treated to some 'traditional Aussie tucker' - vegemite sarnies, meat pies with tommy sauce, lamingtons (which are disgusting, although I've never actually tried one, but they look it).


Next day I decided to ring Immigration again just to make sure I'd have no problems getting back into Australia after our holiday and got the jobsworth from hell who proceeded to tell me I couldn't leave the country and if I did I'd never be allowed on a flight back. Should I 'wangle' myself onto a flight, I would be detained in Sydney for five or six hours being interrogated by Immigration!! This upset me slightly!!!!!!! Anyway rang them again, got a different person who told me that was rubbish and I'd be held back for a couple of minutes whilst they checked the computer. If you can possibly wait to hear the end of the story, it will be at the end of the bit about our trip (although if you're really smart, you'll have worked out that I'm home!)

Job's going well although I managed to vaguely stuff up the stocktake. Our year end is 30th June so I should have had every last item in the shop counted before we left - oops! Totally forgot about it until the last week and then because some stupid, moronic children - yes we do have them here, had managed to damage my storage door, I was unable to get in and count what is stored out there so the stocktake has not been done but in the immortal words of Catherine Tate "Do I look bovvered?" It will get done never fear.

What else? Oh Abs had a big event up at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre again in mid June - World Cup I think. Did well, Gold in Stunts and Bronze in Pom. Got some more events coming up but will let you know about them when they happen.

OK, the trip. Lots of you will know all about it but I will bore you anyway........ I'd had a nightmare organising the flights. Times kept changing, dates kept changing, Travel Agent was having a job sorting it all out but it seemed to work out in the end. Flew with Royal Brunei. Not bad for the money. At the end of the day, it's a sodding long way and unless you can afford first class all the way, it's hard work.

According to the itinerary, we had to be at Brissie Airport by 12pm. Flight due to depart at 14:20ish. Set off only to turn back because Heather had forgotten her phone charger and it was the only phone we had until England. Back to collect and we set off again. Get half way up the motorway and TomTom (Sat Nav) tells us to turn off????? Abs had set it and by mistake had said yes to avoiding tolls, so a quick drive around Brisbane suburbs and back on the motorway again. Get to check in at 11:55 to find check in lady calling us to hurry??? Turns out the flight had been brought forward two hours about two months previous but Royal Brunei had failed to tell a load of agents (and their website).

Found out after we got back, they had phoned my agent several times asking where we were and she proceeded to shout at them telling them to hold check in until we arrived! Very quick see you later to Kevan and on to the plane. First leg, Brissie to Brunei, not bad. Heather's TV worked, mine and Abs's didn't but I had my book and she had her DS. Second leg, Brunei to Dubai, bloody awful - had about four midnights and unable to sleep. Girls had worked out if Abs leant against Heather and she leant against me, they would get sleep. Fine and dandy but what about me huh????? After about half an hour of H being a dead weight on me, I had to get up and walk. Got back to find they'd managed to spread out further and I no longer had a seat so for two hours I walked and talked and stretched and drank water with numerous other insomniacs. Heavy turbulence put paid to standing up so had to wake girls and sit and try to read while plane bouncing up and down like it was on a bouncy castle - girls slept!

Last leg, Dubai to Heathrow - not bad, tv's still didn't work except Heathers but daylight came it was ok although as usual it was the time to make bizarre friendships with random strangers we'd never meet again - except one couple.

Landed at Heathrow earlier than planned and struggled to find Debbie but Heather spotted her eventually and after admiring the new car - thankfully not another Punto we had the joy of the M25 - whoopy doo!! Arrived about an hour or so earlier than I'd anticipated at Sue's. Rang the door bell and was greeted with "What the hell are you doing here so early?" Love you too hon! Great to see them though, felt like we'd never been away although I don't remember getting a hug from Sue on a general visit before.

First things first, dumped Abs with a mate, and we drove round to find Jim to see if he had a car. Surprised Ems who appeared fairly with it considering she'd had her 40th party the night before! No car until Wednesday morning. All good though, Jim came up trumps with an old red Golf which went faster than it looked even though it was a manual - what is the point of a manual gear box and clutch?? Please? Why do people still bother when Automatics are majorly superior in every way? Surprised Bugsy and Karen - making a habit of this surprising people lark! Met Niahm for the first time - what a cutie (obviously takes after Karen!) Anyway - Victoria Garage is still the same, Jimbo is still lovely, Glynn is now a daddy and a very proud one at that! and we even managed a hello to John (who was asked to send our love to Dawn but not sure if he did or not so big hi to Dawn). Had some fab meals both out and in. Out - Can't remember the names now but they had zzzz's in them - one used to be Nichols - that was fab, the other used to be the doctors surgery. They've done the renovations brilliantly but there is something defintely odd about eating in a place where all sorts of invasive procedures have taken place previously!!!!!!!!!! Thankfully we weren't eating in the Nurses Room or Austin O'Hare's room. We were put in the Waiting Room but the service was slightly quicker than it was in the old days. Silver Cup - that was lovely too - as was the company. The Wicked Lady is great, had a fab meal there. The manager was worth checking out as well, seemed interested in moving this way but accordingly to Sue I was flirting! Moi?? Just giving helpful advice that's all!

Anyway, basically there was lots of food, lots of talking, lots of repeating ourselves constantly, lots of cuddling various animals and most importantly lots of seeing lots of lovely people who needed seeing! Talking of cuddling animals I would just like to say a huge massive thank you to Ali, Jackie and Liz (and families) for the wonderful care and attention they've given Fluff, Snowy and Lily(is a boy). They all looked so well and happy - we were so amazed to see my baby; Fluff, still going strong, still looking as cute as a kitten and I'm sure she remembered us. It was truly heartbreaking to hear that Snowy died soon after we had our last cuddle - Jackie, give Jacob and Floppy a hug from us. Hope Jacob is soon fit and well again and Floppy isn't too stressed about losing his love. Unfortunately we never had a camera with us when visiting Lily(is a boy) so no pics of him.






Had a great few days down in Dorset - thank you again Beryl and Neville for finding and paying for the accommodation. If anyone reading this wants a great B&B in beautiful Dorset countryside, you won't go far wrong with this place. Sorry we couldn't spend more time with you but it was lovely to see you.


Dorset countryside and Salisbury - an old phone box (didn't check to see if it worked though)

Ali and James - sorry we didn't get to see the kids, sorry if we disturbed you James on the Monday. Had a great meal and brilliant chat, however strange it was to be guests in our house!!! Don't forget to let us have pics of the extension as it happens and after - would love to see them.

Nicky - send my love to Peter, he's looking good. Thanks for the gossip - if anyone had some, it would always be you.

Fiona, was great to see you. I was worried you may not want visitors but we had a great time catching up and I hope your holiday works out as it should.

Sue and Janet many many thanks for organising me as much as I can be, seemed like I'd not been away. Dave, you're a star - completely barking as usual but considering what you put up with, it's no surprise and Maz looks great - get that passport sorted!

Everyone else, thanks for making our visit brilliant. The girls loved it all and we have some great memories - YOU LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heellllooooooo flick flick. Anyway enough of that!

Flight home was good and bad. Mark drove us to the airport - possibly his way of making up for not visiting us last time he and Leanne were over, (no, I probably won't let you live that one down!) and both Heather and Abs sobbed all the way! Once we'd checked in we were fine but finding out that Dave had given the girls spending moolah for the airport nearly finished me off - lovely thought though, thank you.

First leg back good but started getting a headache about an hour before Dubai and by the time we were wandering around their duty free, it was getting steadily worse. As soon as we took off again it turned into a migraine and a half but I managed to hang on to my stomach but strangely my eyesight went - never had that before. Heather looked after me whilst Abs slept. Anyway as soon as we got off the plane and breathed in normal air I recovered fairly quickly. I've decided it was due to the amount of oxygen/air con levels the flight deck gave us. On overnight flights, airlines are known to cut the amount of healthy air in order that people sleep and don't want service and meals etc. Buggered me up well and truly.

The stopover in Brunei was brill. Great place, fab people. Very laid back, we all boarded a bus for the hotel, leaving all our luggage sitting on the road but it was all back with us by the time we'd booked in. Nice hotel, great food and then a free coach into town where we took a speed boat trip along the river, around the water village, saw the Sultan's palace, a mosque and some Proboscis Monkeys. Apparently we were very lucky to see them as various boats were coming back from the rainforest saying there was nothing there.



These first few are of Kampung Ayer. This is a massive village all built on stilts. There are about 10 huge schools, their own Mosque, fire station, police station etc and it's all joined by very ricketty walkways high over the water. It all stretches about 8kms along the middle of the river and they have piped water and overhead power lines and every house seems to have a massive satellite dish on the top and a long boat (for racing and shows) slung underneath. One was called 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and had the Liverpool FC shield at both ends - excellent taste but not what you expect to see.

These three are just of the river (fairly obviously!)




These four are showing the Proboscis Monkeys. First two in the rain forest and the second two are behind a shopping centre. You don't get told you can see them here - they want you on the boats but it was a good trip so no worries!


These last two are buildings!!!! No idea what but it was the Sultan's birthday the day after we left and they have a huge celebration every year so the second one shows some of the decorations.

Back on the plane, last 7 hours and finally home. The only real annoyance was the fact we were sharing the flights and hotel with a large contingent of Italian god people all on their way to see the Pope in Sydney. Nothing against god people providing they don't bother me or mine but that many of any one type of person tend to get a bit overpowering and therefore irritating. Thank their god that they didn't burst into song on the flight or a few people may have caused a scene! Kevan said there were stacks at the airport before we got in who were all singing and hallelulahing - nice!

Very grateful we don't live in Sydney - there are thousands and thousands of world wide worshippers there - so many that even the Pope has only appeared once or twice, he's holed up in some posh pad out in the countryside - he's no fool! This event was called World Youth Day. Now sorry, but in my world a day lasts, at most, 24 hours. This 'Day' lasted a week! Apparently nearly half a million slept under the stars at some race track in order to listen to the old German cross dressing ex nazi (who doesn't condone kiddie fiddling but does condone limiting the number of children you bring into the world) talk to them. People never fail to amaze.

Got to passport control and went through the Aussie Passport Holders bit with the girls. Had filled in the arrival form saying I was a citizen, but had the British Passport so a couple of questions asked, handed over the certified copy of my certificate, had to go with an Immigration Officer to another desk where he took a copy of the copy and that was it, welcome home! So you flaming Hitler woman at Brissie Immigration, you know sod all, you have no people skills, you are useless and deserve to lose your job and possibly have a boot up the backside out of the door!

Thoughts of Harpenden..................... Not changed but has changed lots if that makes sense. Someone narrowed all the roads whilst we've been gone, stacks more cars, driving still appalling (Indicators people, generally a stick off the steering wheel - when changing direction use the flaming thing - agggghhhhhhhhh. Shops seems to have given way to coffee bars and I've never seen so many 'mummies and babies' socialising. I see the need to get out and socialise when you've had a baby, honestly I do, been there done that but for crying out loud, don't hog the coffee bars, the babies don't appreciate it, the other customers don't appreciate it and what happened to going in a group round to someone's house???

Parking places all over are tiny - how on earth are you supposed to park and open your doors in these spots? Lots more cars as well - not nice. We had to try some food that we thought we missed but weren't sure. The girls loved drinking J2O - everyone seemed to have some in when we visited so that was good. The girls had a feast from Thorns, I tried Walkers Cheese and Onion Chips (sorry crisps) and decided I didn't miss them after all. Dave makes a mean chilli; Shapla was as good as we remembered, Heather was a bit miffed to find that Cheese Naan seems to be an Aussie thing though. Both Shapla and Dildah tried but came up short compared to here.

Probably other stuff but can't think of it at the moment. If I've forgotten to mention you then apologies.

Life is now back to normal. Very annoyed that we suffered jet lag for the first time ever. Didn't feel sick or anything, just complete exhaustion. Heather went to bed at 6:30 one night with Abs and me not far behind and we didn't wake up until the phone rang at 8am! Probably the lack of oxygen again.

Kevan seems to have had a good time without us. Painted the entire house (inside), added stuff, taken stuff away etc, rearranged some kitchen cabinets, presumably just to tick me off! However we've killed his peace and quiet so we're probably quits.

Blimey, that was a long one. Better finish now or I'll find something else to add.

1 comment:

Annabel said...

Christ on a bike!

I'm bloody exhausted after all that.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Blog Archive