Monday, June 04, 2007

Update, sort of

Not much to tell to be honest. Heather is well. She might have another seizure, she might not. The sky might fall in tomorrow, who knows! Only downside so far has been that we went to Dreamworld the other week and she couldn't do one of the rides because it had strobe lighting effects - not really a big deal. And we are off to Sydney for a few days and planning on doing the Harbour Bridge Walk where you put jumpsuits on, harness yourself to the railings and walk up to the top of the arch and then walk back again - takes 3 and a half hours. I was going through the booking thing on the internet and noticed the health and safety requirements and saw it said that if anyone has had a seizure in the last six months you are not allowed to do the climb. Not happy, Heather majorly ticked off. Anyway Kevan and Abs are doing the twilight climb whilst Heather and I find something else to do. Ho hum. Could we have got away with it? possibly but really not worth the stress.

We now have two mice who are very cute. Abs's one is called Patch and never stops moving, climbing around, checking everything out and Heather's one is called Belle and will quite happily sit and do sod all - much like their owners then.


We have ordered a new suite to go in the room where the wood burning heater is so the room will no longer be empty! Huge thing, has two reclining chairs, one Chaise Longue and inside another bit is a double bed! All we need now (apart from the floor!!!!) is a TV to go on the wall and we will be sorted. I think I've given up on ever having the floor changed. Huge job and better things to spend the money on.

As of the 1st June, winter is officially with us although we then had rain which was weird as it doesn't rain in winter. We have lovely sunshine though but the temperatures are chilly, especially indoors. The other day I was frozen and nearly lit the fire but decided to go out instead. Checked the thermometer and found it was reading 18 degrees - damn cold to my way of thinking but I guess to you lot back in Blighty that's a lovely day!!! Strange how you acclimatise. We have the stove going most evenings and the double duvet on our bed. I even had socks on in bed the other night. We won't be coming back to the UK in your winter any time soon!

Oh, a pic of the wood burner for you if you are into such things.




What else is there? Blimey, can't think of anything. OK let's see if I can remember any general info stuff........ oh apparently the M1 (our M1, not your M1) is going to grind to a standstill very soon, total gridlock !!! They haven't got a clue. From what I can see total gridlock means slowing down to about 40km for a couple of miles. I would love to dump some of these people on the UK M1 or the M25 and see how they cope.

We now have a gas hob and a new electric oven so I can finally boil spuds in less than 40 minutes and I fried an egg in about a minute the other day instead of it taking half an hour. Little things please me and this is one of them. We now have a honking great gas cannister outside the back wall. We weren't allowed to have it where we wanted, broke all sorts of Health and Safety rules apparently. So we now have it where it's in the way and in full sunlight (it says on the label it shouldn't be in full sunlight!) Now we have the certificate for it, we might move it to where we wanted it in the first place and see what happens.

Our local airport has now had the runway extended. Very impressed by this (another little thing) but it was agreed it would be done at Council one day and two days later it was started - actually diggers etc working! I can't remember when it was due to be finished but they finished about three months early and it came in under budget. You don't hear that very often. Anyway the airport can now take 747's although it doesn't want to and it's unlikely that they will ever be able to take us from here to the UK etc but it does mean that it can take bigger planes than before and should soon be flying to many more places. We are flying from there down to Sydney but at the moment, if we wanted to go to Cairns from this airport we would have to fly down to Sydney, change flights and then fly back up, over this airport, over us at home and on up to Cairns. Either that or go from Brisbane. Bit like going from Luton I guess.




1 comment:

Annabel said...

Good to hear Heather's doing ok.
Have they worked out what kicked it off?

Blog Archive